Can you relate to the following dilemma?
"I'm pretty good about my diet and exercise program during the week. But when the weekend comes, all of that hard work goes out the window! I constantly find myself 'starting over' every Monday morning. How do I break out of this sabotaging cycle?"
Weekends are difficult because you fall out of your regular daily routine. You're challenged with potlucks, date-nights, and other social gatherings, where trouble is lurking in the form of buffet lines or rich, tempting desserts.
Weekend menus can also be more difficult to plan – and without a plan, you're more likely to stray from the healthy habits you have been working so hard to develop.
So, here's a little "Weekend Survival Guide" – designed to help your healthy eating plan survive those dreaded weekends:
- Plan family activities like bike rides or outdoor games. This helps you spend time with your family and burn calories at the same time!
- Carry a water bottle with you to your weekend activities. This will help you get your water for the day and resist the temptation to grab a soda or other high-calorie beverages.
- Set some "weekend specific" goals for yourself based on the realities of what you'll be doing. They may look very different than your weekday goals, and that's okay.
- If you are going to be out all day, pack some healthy snacks in case you get hungry. There is nothing worse than being hungry at the mall, and the only options are junk food.
- Set Monday as your "progress day." You are more likely to resist temptation if you have to face the fat caliper or tape measurer first thing Monday morning.
- Plan ahead! If you are going out to eat, go to restaurant's website in advance and review their menu. You'll have plenty of time to make a healthy choice before you get there.
- Don't save all of your splurging for the weekends. Allowing yourself a few small treats throughout the week will help you avoid the mindset that the weekend is an excuse to go crazy and lose control. And by spacing your treats evenly, you're less likely to get sudden, irresistible cravings.
With a little extra effort and planning, you can turn weekends into an enjoyable experience and an opportunity to keep your program moving in the right direction!
It's all about striking that perfect balance between fun and effective for fat loss.
I hope you found this quick "Weekend Survival Guide" helpful!