Your challenge for the week of November 9th - 15th is to consume at least 25 grams of fiber a day.
Public health guidelines from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advise that you eat between 25 and 30 grams of fiber a day. Unfortunately, most adults don’t even eat half this much.
Here are just some of the key benefits of consuming at least 25 grams of fiber a day:
- Blood sugar control: Soluble fiber may help to slow your body’s breakdown of carbohydrates and the absorption of sugar, helping with blood sugar control.
- Heart health: An inverse association has been found between fiber intake and heart attacks, and research shows that those eating a high-fiber diet have a 40% lower risk of heart disease.
- Stroke: Researchers have found that for every 7 grams more fiber you consume on a daily basis, your stroke risk is decreased by 7 %
- Fat loss: Fiber has been shown to enhance weight (fat) loss among obese people, likely because fiber increases feelings of fullness. Fiber actually expands in the stomach and is absorbed more slowly than other foods, which means we feel full and satisfied a lot longer – while taking in less calories, which is the perfect scenario for fat loss.
- Skin health: Fiber, particularly psyllium husk, may help move yeast and fungus out of your body, preventing them from being excreted through your skin where they could trigger acne or rashes.
- Diverticulitis: Dietary fiber (especially insoluble) may reduce your risk of diverticulitis – an inflammation of polyps in your intestine – by 40%.
- Digestive problems: A high-fiber diet lowers your risk of hemorrhoids and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Gallstones and kidney stones: A high-fiber diet may reduce the risk of gallstones and kidney stones, likely because of its ability to help regulate blood sugar.
- Fights disease: fiber increases bulk in the colon and may dilute carcinogens that are found in food or formed as a result of digestion.
In addition to learning new healthy lifestyle skills, by completing your Weekly Challenge you’ll also receive a “Weekly Challenge Completed” icon for your profile page, and between 300 - 700 FITera points. There might also be additional recognition with bonus points for those that put forth exceptional effort and/or support to others.
Click Here for Contest Rules and Regulations
Rules & Regulations
At the end of each week (Friday night, Saturday, or Sunday morning), please post a blog on how you did with your challenge for the week, such as what you learned, obstacles you overcame, and your plans for continuing this new healthy habit long-term.