Although the quinoa pie crust recipe is what I want to feature here, below you'll find a recipe for an entire pie.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
All natural baking spray
1 cup milk
2 1/2 ounces almond paste, crumbled
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 ounces greek yogurt cream cheese
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, divided
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
12 ounces strawberries, hulled and sliced lengthwise
1 tablespoon seedless strawberry jam
You can use this quinoa crust for any type of pie, such as pumpkin, banana, or whatever!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spread quinoa and almond flour evenly on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 9 minutes or until lightly browned, rotating pan after 5 minutes. Cool completely on pan.
3. Transfer mixture to the bowl of a food processor; process 1 1/2 minutes or until almost finely ground, scraping bowl after 1 minute. Add brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt; pulse to combine.
4. Add egg; pulse 3 to 4 times or until mixture begins to clump (mixture will be moist). Lightly press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan coated with baking spray (lightly coat hands with cooking spray if mixture sticks to skin).
5. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes or until lightly browned, rotating the pan after 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
6. To prepare almond cream, combine milk and almond paste in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer. Cook 2 minutes or until almond paste melts, stirring frequently with a whisk. Combine cornstarch, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 2 eggs, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
7. Drizzle hot milk mixture into egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return mixture to pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk; cook 1 minute or until thick, whisking vigorously. Remove pan from heat; add butter, stirring with a whisk until butter melts.
8. Place pan in a large ice water-filled bowl; cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
9. To prepare crema, beat cream cheese and 1 tablespoon sugar at medium speed until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon rind, juice, and whipping cream, beating until mixture thickens (about 30 seconds). Stir in 1 teaspoon thyme leaves.
10. Place sliced strawberries and jam in a bowl; toss gently to coat. Spread almond cream in bottom of cooled crust. Gently spread crema on top of almond cream. Arrange strawberries over top of crema. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon rind and remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme over top of strawberries. Chill 4 hours or overnight.