This veggie burger recipe is excllent on the BBQ as a burger, as well as crumbled on a salad or in lettuce wraps!
3 red beets
1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 16-oz. cans of black beans
1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 large egg
2 egg whites
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chili powder
Add cottage cheese to your burger or crumble up the veggie burger in your cottage cheese to have a perfect ratio of protein and natural carbs!
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and roast until easily pierced with a fork (about an hour). Set aside to cool.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, mushrooms, and garlic, stirring every minute for about 12 minutes.
3. Pour in the vinegar and continue to simmer until it has evaporated. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
4. Process the oats in a food processor (or blender) until a flour texture. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
5. Drain and rinse one of the cans of beans and transfer to the food processor. Pulse until the beans are roughly chopped. Transfer this mixture to a large mixing bowl.
6. Drain and rinse the second can of beans and add the whole beans to the mixing bowl as well.
7. Scrape the skins off the roasted beets and grate them with a cheese grater. Transfer the grated beets to a strainer set over the sink.
8. Transfer the beets, rice, and sauted veggies to the bowl with the beans. Sprinkle the olive oil and chili powder over the top of the mixture and mix until combined.
9. Add the oatmeal flour and egg/egg whites and mix until you no longer see any dry oatmeal or egg.
10. Shape the mixture into burgers, brush them with my home-made BBQ sauce recipe and then grill on the BBQ. Enjoy!